Scott Bethmann wiki
Scott Bethmann, 63, and his wife, Nancy, were heard discussing news of companies that have denounced systematic racism following protests sparked by the killing of black man George Floyd.
Mr. Bethmann was a Naval Academy Alumni Association Board of Trustees member but resigned on Saturday after he accidentally started streaming the 33-minute conversation on Facebook Live which was initially viewed by hundreds then quickly went viral.
‘I’ve got the emails about how we’re supporting and we need to fix this problem, f**k you,’ he said in the video from Friday. ‘So all the white people have to say something nice to the black b***h that works in the office. But the black b***h don’t get fired. It’s bulls**t. Management’s going to fire the white people.
scott bethmann Atlantic Beach Country Club
Mr. Bethmann was also a member of the Atlantic Beach Country Club but his membership was rescinded in response to the video.
‘Be assured we find these comments extremely offensive, inflammatory and antithetical to what this Club stands for and represents,’ Atlantic Beach Country Club said in a statement. ‘As such, we have voted today to immediately expel this member and his family from the Club.’
The club said its board of directors ‘condemn any racist, bigoted and demeaning behavior’ and is committed to protecting ‘an inclusionary staff and membership where respect and dignity are openly represented.’
The couple said they are embarrassed, sorry and committed to becoming better people.
‘There are no words that can appropriately express how mortified and apologetic my wife and I are about the insensitive things we said that were captured on social media,’ the family said in a statement. ‘There is never a time when it is appropriate to use derogatory terms when speaking about our fellow man. I know that an apology from us rings hollow on many ears in our community, especially in the current environment. We intend on using this experience as an opportunity to grow, listen, learn, and reflect.
‘We are deeply sorry for the impact our actions have had on the Naval Academy, my fellow servicemen and women, our former colleagues, friends, family, and the community as a whole. We are committed to educating ourselves more on the racial inequalities in this country and being better people.’
A spokesperson for the couple said this would be the only statement released by the Bethmann family.
Scott bethmann quick facts
- Scott Bethmann, 63, and wife, Nancy, were heard discussing news of companies that have denounced systematic racism following Black Lives Matter protests
- The demonstrations and company initiatives have been sparked by the killing of black man George Floyd in Minnesota last Monday
- ‘I’ve got the emails about how we’re supporting and we need to fix this problem, f**k you,’ he said in the video from Friday, where he also uses the N-word
- Nancy is heard ranting about ‘f***ing Asians from China who love to steal all of our intellectual property,’ in the 33-minute-long video
- Viewers questioned whether Bethmann’s opinion had influenced the Naval Academy Alumni Association Board of Trustees’ recruitment process
- Mr. Bethmann resigned from the board on Saturday