Notre Dame basilica Wiki
Notre Dame basilica Biography
The Notre-Dame Basilica (French: Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal) is a basilica in the historic district of Old Montreal, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The church is located at 110 Notre-Dame Street West, on the corner of Saint Sulpice Street. It is located next to the Saint-Sulpice Seminary and overlooks the Place d’Armes square.
The interior of the church is among the most dramatic in the world and is considered a masterpiece of neo-Gothic architecture.  The vaults are deep blue in color and decorated with gold stars, and the rest of the shrine is decorated in blues, blues, reds, purple, silver, and gold. It is filled with hundreds of intricate wood carvings and various religious statues. Unusual for a church, the stained glass windows along the sanctuary’s walls depict not biblical scenes, but scenes from Montreal’s religious history. It also features a Casavant Frères pipe organ, dated 1891, consisting of four keyboards, 92 electromagnetic action steps, and an adjustable combination system, 7000 individual pipes and a pedal board. [2. 3].
The basilica offers a musical program of choral and organ performances.  It is a tradition among many Montreal residents to attend Handel’s annual presentation of Messiah every Christmas. [Citation required]
More than 11 million people visit Notre-Dame each year, one million fewer than Notre-Dame de Paris. 
Notre-Dame Basilica Details
In 1657, Sulpician Catholics arrived in Ville-Marie, now known as Montreal; six years later, they were granted the lordship of the island. They ruled until 1840. The parish they founded was dedicated to the Holy Name of Mary, and the parish church of Notre-Dame was built on the site in 1672. François Baillairgé, architect, designed the interior decoration and the choir 1785-1795; facade and vault decoration, 1818.  The church served as the first cathedral of the Diocese of Montreal from 1821 to 1822. 
The Church of Notre-Dame, with its replacement being built behind it, 1828.
By 1824, the congregation had completely outnumbered the church, and James O’Donnell, an Irish-American Anglican from New York City, was commissioned to design the new building, with the goal of hosting a congregation of up to 10,000 .  O’Donnell was an advocate of the Gothic Revival architectural movement and designed the church as such. He intended to build a terrace on the exterior of the church, but this was never completed due to lack of funds.  He is the only person buried in the crypt of the church. O’Donnell converted to Roman Catholicism on his deathbed and was thus buried in the crypt. 
The main construction took place between 1824 and 1829. The first stone was laid on the Place d’Armes on September 1, 1824. The sanctuary was completed in 1830, the first tower in 1841, the second in 1843. O’Donnell designed the towers to be traditionally gothic, and to be seen from anywhere in the city.  The first tower, also known as the West Tower or La Persevérance, houses the bell called Jean-Baptiste, cast in England. The second tower, also known as the East Tower or La Tempérance, houses ten bells that are also from England.  Following O’Donnell’s death, John Ostell, an English-born architect, completed the towers according to O’Donnell’s original plans.  Once completed, the church was the largest in North America and remained so for more than fifty years.  Samuel Russell Warren built a new organ in 1858. The facade of the church was completed in 1865 and included three statues by French sculptor Henri Bouriché: Saint Joseph, the Virgin Mary, and Saint John the Baptist. [eleven]
The interior of the basilica, with its sanctuary in the background. The sanctuary was completed in 1830.
The interior took much longer, and Victor Bourgeau, who also worked on Montreal’s Mary Queen of the World Cathedral, worked on it from 1872 to 1879. Stonemason John Redpath was an important participant in the construction of the Basilica. The sanctuary originally housed a large canopy, but because it caused a lighting effect that would blind the congregation, the interior designs were reworked by Bourgeau and Victor Rousselot, the current priest. They were inspired by the Saint-Chappelle in Paris, with gold leaf motifs combined with brightly painted columns. 
Due to the splendor and large scale of the church, a more intimate chapel, the Chapelle du Sacré-Cœur (Chapel of the Sacred Heart), was built behind it, along with some offices and a sacristy. It was completed in 1888. In 1886, Casavant Frères began building a new 32-foot pipe organ in the church, completing it in 1891. It was notably the first organ with adjustable combination pedals to be powered by electricity. [Citation required]
Fire destroyed the Chapel of the Sacré-Cœur on December 8, 1978. It was rebuilt with the first two levels reproduced from old drawings and photographs, with modern vaults and altarpieces and an immense bronze altarpiece by the Québec sculptor Charles Daudelin.
The Church of Notre-Dame was elevated to the category of minor basilica by Pope John Paul II on April 21, 1982. The Roman Catholic Church of Notre-Dame was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1989.  [14 ]
On May 31, 2000, the provincial state funeral for former Montreal Canadiens superstar Maurice “Rocket” Richard was held in front of thousands, both inside and outside the Basilica.