Latonia Stewart Wiki
Latonia Stewart Biography
Who is Latonia Stewart ?
A New York City woman was found guilty of robbing half a dozen homes of victims attending their spouses’ funerals after finding her targets through obituaries on Legacy.com.
Latonia Stewart, 30, of the Bronx, was convicted of six counts of robbery in Westchester court on Thursday and could face more than 20 years in prison.
Stewart broke into half a dozen houses between the winter of 2017 and the spring of 2018.
The ‘funeral thief’ now faces between 3 and 15 years in prison for each of the six charges after jurors deliberated for only two hours. She will be sentenced on November 22.
Stewart targeted mourners who had lost her spouses, using Legacy.com to find her victims.wikipedia
“This defendant targeted these grieving people because she knew they would not be home,” Assistant District Attorney Stefanie DeNise said in her closing argument.
According to authorities, Stewart managed to gain access to the houses by breaking windows and glass doors with a mallet that she kept under the seat of her vehicle.
He attacked the home of his first victim in December 2017 before beating five more and stealing $ 40,000 worth of property, according to the New York Daily News.
She stole jewelry and other personal items from her victims.
“ It is absolutely appalling that people mourning the loss of a loved one have been specifically targeted and taken advantage of in such a cruel and egregious way, ” said Westchester D.A. Miriam Rocah told the Daily News.
Stewart was linked to robberies in Rye Brook, Cortlandt, Scarsdale, Irvington, Ossining, and Tarrytown, all cities near New York City.
He also faces additional burglary charges in Greenwich, Connecticut, and Carmel in Putnam County, New York.
She was arrested in May 2018 after Greenburgh police officers waited outside a recently deceased person’s home on Watch Hill Drive and observed Stewart driving his Acura MDX on Sprain Brook Parkway.
Stewart’s baby was in the car at the time of her arrest.
“It is a despicable crime,” Greenburgh Police Chief Christopher McNerney told NBC New York at the time.
When police later searched her car and her home in the Bronx, they allegedly recovered more stolen property and tools for thieves.
Latonia Stewart Quick and Facts
- Latonia Stewart, 30, from the Bronx, New York City, was found guilty of six counts of robbery and could face more than 20 years in prison
- She broke into a half-dozen homes between Winter 2017 and Spring 2018 after sourcing her victims through Legacy.com
- She choose victims based on their spouses’ obituary and would strike while they were attending the wake or the funeral
- Police caught her in May 2018 after she was seen leaving a victim’s home and was found with the obituary pulled up and stolen property in her car
- Police found that she had stolen $40,000 worth of property from six robberies