Jordy Gordon wiki
Jordy Gordon Biography
A two-year-old boy whose lung collapsed after he choked on a piece of popcorn underwent life-saving surgery after a scan revealed he also had a life-threatening heart condition.
Jordy Gordon from Fort William, Scotland, was eating popcorn when he choked and unknowingly inhaled a grain, blocking his airway.
After he developed a continuous cough, the boy’s mother took him to the hospital, believing he had a chest infection.
However, the scans revealed that a small popcorn kernel had caused one of Jordy’s lungs to collapse.
Jordy Gordon Age
A two-year-old boy.
Doctors warned Jordy’s mother Said
Doctors warned Jordy’s mother, Shona Macgillivray, 35, that the little boy could ‘drop dead’ at any moment because he wasn’t getting enough oxygen and they scheduled him for open heart surgery.
Jordy underwent a 12 hour operation to reposition his veins and is now completely healthy.
Ms. Macgillivray fears the heart condition would never have been discovered if Jordy hadn’t inhaled the snack.
Jordy, now seven, made a full recovery after he was found to have a potentially fatal heart condition and underwent open heart surgery
The early years practitioner said, ‘Now I think of that popcorn as a blessing and a curse, as it showed us what was wrong.
Jordy when he enjoyed some popcorn before mum-of-two Ms Macgillivray went to work on February 25 2015.
She said: ‘I left him with my mom taking care of him, who told me he was a little bad that day, but when I got home I didn’t think about it.’
The next day, Jordy was still coughing, so Macgillivray took him to the doctors, who assured him that it was probably just a chest infection, he said.
But around 11 p.m. that night, Jordy’s cough was getting worse, so she took him to the ER at Belford Hospital in Fort William.
She said: ‘They monitored his oxygen levels and saw that he was very low, so they gave him a few puffs from the brown inhaler, but that didn’t help, so they put him on a respirator.’
He was transferred to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness, driven by Mrs. Macgillivray with her partner Michael Gordon, 34, and they arrived around 2 a.m. M.
Ms Macgillivray said: ‘The doctor randomly asked us if I had eaten popcorn and I said yes the day before.
“He must have seen something like this before. My friends always tag me in stories about children choking on pieces of popcorn.”
Jordy finally coughed up the pimple and a scan showed that one of his lungs had completely collapsed.
Michael Gordon, Jordy Gordon, Rhys Gordon and Shona Macgillivray
Jordy, who is now ‘completely back to normal’ and able to do everything else other children can, his mother said
Doctors said there was a possibility that he would not survive the operation or be disabled by the operation, but he underwent surgery in July 2016.
In the 12-hour surgery at Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow, doctors cut open his chest to reposition his pulmonary veins.
Mrs Macgillivray said: ‘It was the worst day of my life. It was horrible, I went in, I burst into tears and then I came out again.
“It was like she was in a coma and she wasn’t really aware of what was going on.”
Six days after being admitted for his surgery, Jordy returned home to his mom, dad, and older brother Rhys, now ten, after making a full recovery.
Ms. Macgillivray said: “He is completely back to normal and can do anything a normal child can do.
Before his operation and before we knew anything was wrong, Jordy slept for three hours every afternoon.
“I thought he was just who he was, but now we know it’s because he wasn’t getting enough oxygen in his blood.”
Jordy, who is now seven, likes to show off all of his impressive scars from his surgery and needs to get scans every so often.