Destinique James Wiki
Destinique James Biography
Who is Destinique James ?
Destinique James, 12, told police that Wells-Jackson had pulled her hair when the final bell rang and she was leaving her class, police said.
A recording of the incident, which took place in a classroom, shows the teacher holding James’ braided hair behind her as another student pulls a classmate away from the preteen. Police did not say if the teacher was trying to break up a fight.
Wells-Jackson finally let go of James’ hair after she was heard yelling at several other students.
Video of the incident, recorded on a phone camera, shows a student grabbing James, pulling her away from Wells-Jackson, who can be seen pulling the victim’s hair. Several other students can be heard screaming as they witness the moment.
Jennifer Wells-Jackson Arrested and Charged
Jennifer Wells-Jackson, 49, was arrested and charged with risk of injury to a minor and second-degree disorderly conduct for allegedly pulling the hair of 12-year-old Destinique James.
James did not sustain any injuries and refused medical attention, police said.
The student’s mother, Destine James, said she was “disgusted” by the teacher’s actions. Her daughter had told her that the school intercom had just finished class when the teacher ‘dragged’ her back into the classroom.
“There are certain things you say and there are certain things you don’t say, there are certain things you do and certain things you’re not supposed to do, especially when dealing with people’s children,” Destinie told WTNH. “At the end of the day, there is no justification for laying hands on someone’s child.”
Wells-Jackson, an instructional literary coach, was released on $20,000 bond and was expected to make her first court appearance on Monday.
She was described as a well-respected teacher and community activist, who is also a long-time member of the New Haven Federation of Teachers.
It was the fourth arrest of a teacher employed by the same district since last November.
The school district said it is fully cooperating with investigators and takes the safety of its student very seriously.
Destinique James Quick and Facts
- Jennifer Wells-Jackson, 49, was arrested after pulling on the hair of one of her students, 12-year-old Destinique James
- She was charged with risk of injury to a minor and second-degree breach of peace
- James did not suffer any injuries from the incident and declined medical attention, police said
- The student’s mother, Destine James, said that she was ‘disgusted’ by the incident
- Her daughter had told her that the school’s intercom had just dismissed class when the teacher ‘dragged her’ back into the classroom
- Wells-Jackson’s arrest marks the fourth teacher in the New Haven School District arrested since November