Camila Martínez Wiki
Camila Martínez Biography
Who is Camila Martínez ?
A three-year-old girl shocked her parents when she woke up at her funeral after doctors at a hospital in the central Mexican state of San Luis Potosí said she had died of dehydration.
Now the family of Camila Martínez accuses the staff of the Basic Community Hospital of Salinas de Hidalgo of negligence.
The minor experienced stomach pain, vomiting and fever when Mary Jane Mendoza and her husband took her daughter to a pediatrician in the municipality of Villa de Ramos on August 17, according to the Mexican newspaper El Universal.
Martinez was taken to the hospital
On the doctor’s recommendation, Martinez was taken to the hospital to be treated for dehydration. Mendoza said doctors at the facility placed a cold towel over her body to lower her body temperature and attached a pulse oximeter to one of her fingers to record her oxygen level.
Martinez was released after an hour and prescribed medication. However, her condition worsened later that day and she was seen by a doctor at a clinic, who gave her a different prescription and recommended that she eat non-sweet fruits and drink plenty of fluids.
While at home, Martinez continued to vomit everything he ate and drank. She was then taken to another doctor, who told her parents to take her to the emergency room right away.
Martínez was admitted again to the Basic Community Hospital of Salinas de Hidalgo between 9:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. local time.
‘They wanted to give him (intravenous therapy). It took a long time to put him on oxygen,’ Mendoza recalled. “They didn’t put it on him because they couldn’t find his little veins, a nurse finally did it.”
The intravenous line was withdrawn after about 10 minutes. She picked Martinez up from the hospital bed and recalled how ‘she was still holding me, they took her away and said, ‘You have to let her rest in peace.’
Mendoza was locked in a room but managed to get out but still couldn’t get into the room where Martinez was under observation and later died.
Friends and family were standing by his small casket on August 18 when someone noticed that the glass window in the casket was fogging up.
Martinez’s maternal grandmother saw her eyes twitching and a pulse showed that she was indeed alive.
She was rushed by ambulance to the Basic Community Hospital of Salinas de Hidalgo, where doctors treated her before declaring her dead from cerebral edema (swelling of the brain).
‘That was really where my baby was made. We are devastated, because my girl was a very happy person, she got along with everyone, she did not stand out to anyone,’ Mendoza said. ‘We have a lot of people on the ranch who support us because they loved her.’
The first death certificate obtained by the devastated parents stated that Martinez died of dehydration and the second stated that her cause of death was dehydration, cerebral edema and metabolic failure.
According to Mendoza, her daughter was scheduled to attend her first day of kindergarten class this week.
“What I really want is justice. I have no grudge against doctors who took extreme (measures),’ she said. “I only ask that the doctors, nurses and directors be changed, so that it does not happen again.”
The fact is currently being investigated by the Attorney General’s Office of the State of San Luis Potosí.
Camila Martínez Quick and Facts
- Camila Martínez was declared death within a span of 24 hours by doctors in San Luis Potosí, Mexico
- The three-year-old girl was treated for a stomach ailment, vomiting and fever when she died at Salinas de Hidalgo Basic Community Hospital on August 17
- A funeral was held August 18 and her casket’s glass window suddenly fogged up at one point of the service
- Her eyes moved and she still had pulse, and the family had her rushed to the same medical facility where doctors declared her dead while treating her