Ashley Mallett Wiki
Ashley Mallett Biography
Who was Ashley Mallett ?
Ashley Mallett, an Austrian test cricket cult figure, has died at the age of 76.
Ashley Alexander Mallett was an Australian cricketer who played in 38 Tests and 9 One Day Internationals between 1968 and 1980. Until Nathan Lyon, he was Australia’s most successful off spin bowler since World War II. He extracted a lot of bounce from his high arm action, coupled with his height. Wikipedia
How old was Ashley Mallett ?
He was 76 year old.July 13, 1945, Sydney, Australia
Cause of Death
He died at age 76 after a battle with cancer.
Mallett, who was one of Australia’s best bowlers, passed away in Adelaide on Friday after a long battle with cancer.
Mallett played 38 tests since his debut against England in 1968 and took 132 wickets with an average of 29.84, also finishing his test career against England in 1980.
The soft-spoken Mallett, nicknamed Rowdy, remained Australia’s most successful test scion until current incumbent Nathan Lyon passed the wicket bill from him.
Cricket commentators and fans flooded social media with tributes to Mallett.
Network10 sports host Stephen Quartermain wrote: ‘One of my childhood cricket heroes. Wily off-spinner. Incredible country ravine. Great writer’.
Cricket reporter Greg Baum wrote: ‘This is sad. A unique character in Australian cricket.
- Mallet played 38 Tests for Australia, taking 132 wickets
- The off-spinner took 8-59 against Pakistan in 1972, his best single innings Test figures
- He died at age 76 after a battle with cancer
Ashley Mallett Quick and Facts
- Austrialian Test cricket cult figure Ashley Mallett has died, he was aged 76
- He passed away in Adelaide on Friday after a long battle with cancer
- Mallett played 38 Tests from his debut against England in 1968