Arden Fair Mall Wiki
Arden Fair Mall Biography
A shooting at a California mall Friday night left one person dead and another in critical condition, according to police.
Sacramento police responded to the Arden Fair Mall around 6 p.m. on November 27 following a shooting report, according to a police department press release. When officers arrived, they found two victims, one of whom was pronounced dead at the scene and another who was taken to a nearby hospital “with life-threatening injuries,” KTVU said, citing police.
The Sacramento Police Department announced Nov. 28 that the victims were under the age of 20. According to SDP:
One victim, a 17-year-old man, was taken to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries. Despite the efforts of medical personnel, the victim succumbed to these injuries and was pronounced deceased hours later. The other victim, a 19-year-old man, suffered fatal injuries from the shooting and was pronounced dead at the scene by fire crews.
The mall, which faced “one of the busiest shopping days” on Black Friday, was evacuated, KTVU continued.
SPD officers are at the scene of a shooting that occurred at Arden Fair Mall. Two shooting victims have been located and the suspect has fled the area. There is no active threat at this time. Police will remain in the area while the investigation continues.
– Sacramento Police (@SacPolice) November 28, 2020
Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg issued a statement on Twitter denouncing gun violence in response to the incident.
“We are deeply concerned about the increase in gun violence in Sacramento and other cities during the pandemic and have supported increased efforts to reach at-risk youth,” he wrote.
“A gun is never the answer,” added the mayor.
The Sacramento Police Department stated in the statement that the suspect remains at large. There is no active threat to the mall and an investigation is underway, the department added.
Investigators Are Working to Identify a Suspect, Police Say
Police are currently investigating the incident at the mall, according to the Sacramento Police Department Twitter account.
“Officers are still in the early stages of this investigation,” the department tweeted around 8 p.m. November 27. “We can confirm that this was NOT an active shooter incident.”
Sacramento police spokesman Karl Chan told reporters that detectives will examine “strong” surveillance footage from the mall, CNN said.
“We know that the mall has pretty solid surveillance footage, so it will be something our homicide detectives will definitely look at,” Chan said during a news conference, according to CNN.
The spokesperson encouraged anyone with more information about the shooting to contact investigators, the outlet continued.
“We … are doing everything we can to identify the suspect or suspects who are involved in this incident and make an arrest in this,” Chan said, CNN reported.
The Suspect Is Believed to Be a Male ‘in His 20s,’ Police Say
The Sacramento Bee reported that several mall employees said they heard eight to 12 gunshots.
“Dispatch records said that officers, when reviewing the video from inside the mall immediately after the incident, showed a single shooter, believed to be between 18 and 25 years old, approaching the victims,” wrote the newspaper.
The gunman, sporting a “dark hooded” jacket, then shot the couple and ran from the mall onto Arden Way, according to The Sacramento Bee.
Police said “it was believed” the suspect had been seen in a red Camry from the 1990s, the news outlet said. According to the SPD press release, detectives “have a limited description of an African-American male in his 20s as a suspect.”
The motive for the shooting has yet to be determined, but investigators argue it was an “isolated incident,” the SPD statement continued.
“Based on the preliminary investigation, detectives believe this shooting is an isolated incident and not the result of an active shooter,” the department said.